Some of the statutes and regulations enforced by agencies within the Department of Labor require that posters or notices be posted in the workplace. The Department provides electronic copies of the required posters and some of the posters are available in languages other than English.
Please note that posting requirements vary by statute; that is, not all employers are covered by each of the Department’s statutes and thus may not be required to post a specific notice. For example, some small businesses may not be covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act and thus would not be subject to the Act’s posting requirements. For information on coverage, visit the Employment Laws Assistance for Workers and Small Business (elaws) Poster Advisor. You may also contact the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization, for assistance with these notice requirements.
To obtain posters or for more information about poster requirements or other compliance assistance matters, you may contact the U.S. Department of Labor at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365).
You can maintain your own poster requirements and do it for free by following the instructions found in our past blog post, Employment Posters Made Easy.
Costco has a program which provides all Federal and State required posters along with updates for just $29.95 per year. Find out more by clicking here.
The Department of Labor also has many other helpful articles that will keep your business in compliance:
- Employment Law Guide – Describes DOL’s major laws.
- Wage and Hour Labor Standards Information for New Businesses – Provides an overview of basic wage and hour information.
- COBRA Continuation Coverage – The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) provides for premium reductions and additional election opportunities for health benefits under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, commonly called COBRA. The TAA Health Coverage Improvement Act of 2009, enacted as part of ARRA, also made changes with regard to COBRA continuation coverage.
- Easy Retirement Solutions for Small Business – Provides help for Small Businesses who want to start a retirement plan.
- SIMPLE IRA Plans for Small Businesses (PDF) – Information on SIMPLE (Savings Incentives Match Plan for Employees of Small Employers) IRA plans.
- 401(k) Plans for Small Businesses – Highlights employers’ options and responsibilities when operating a 401(k).
- OSHA Handbook for Small Businesses (PDF) – Helps small businesses establish their own safety and health programs.
Legal Disclaimer: This article is intended for informational purposes only and by no means should replace or substitute other legal documents (governmental or non-governmental) reflecting similar content or advice. If you have any questions concerning your situation or the information provided, please consult with an attorney, CPA or HR Professional.